Cup O’ Joe (aka Café Joe), one of Israel’s biggest coffee chains, has been trying out a form of location-based advertisements in their local newspaper.
QR codes were introduced as the focal point in their newspaper ads; when scanned, a mobile-optimized landing page shows the reader the nearest Cup O’ Joe location and a Google Map with directions. To encourage readers to visit they also included a coupon for a free coffee.
Watch this video coverage of Café Joe’s ad campaign, then keep reading…
Pretty brilliant and pretty simple! They nailed this for a number of reasons:
1. They chose an advertising medium that is relevant to their product; a great cup of coffee goes hand in hand with reading the paper. Plus, Israel has an incredibly high newspaper readership rate.
2. Instant Call to Action; readers can take action (scan the code, find a location, discover the coupon) when they see the ad…without even putting down the paper.
3. The Call to Action is not wasted; even if the reader doesn’t want to dash off to buy a coffee at that moment, by scanning the QR Code they will now know where the nearest Café Joe is located…and have a coupon enticing them to visit for their next cup of java.
4. All campaign elements are mobile-friendly; this was built for mobile from beginning to end.
5. It’s fun and engaging; the QR Code doesn’t simply lead readers to the Cup O’ Joe website (boring) or a text-based list of locations (seriously, that’s the best you can do?)
What are your thoughts?
Interested in taking your marketing plan to the next level – in a way that appeals to today’s mobile consumer? Call us, or send an email, we’d love to chat!
Comments are closed.